Humans are social animals and networking is a crucial part of life. From a young age, we learn to network effectively, enabling us to survive and thrive in the modern world. Just as in life, effective networking in business is vital to enhance reputation and expand connections.
According to Virgin.com, via hubspot, a staggering 95% of people view face to face meetings as essential to building successful business relationships.
For networking success 72% were significantly influenced by eye contact and a firm handshake.
High achieving modern professionals are expected to network on behalf of their businesses regularly. Whether it is a business briefing over breakfast, a party or general event, networking is crucial to promoting you and your business. In an ever changing, super busy workplace prioritising and juggling roles cleverly is vital. Which is why we have compiled these simple but effective networking tips, to get the most out of every single networking event.
- Prior to the event, do as much research as possible: find out who the attendees are, the host and, if there is an event hashtag, follow it!
- Ensure your Linkedin is up to date & that your business cards are in check! No business cards? Fear not, the Linkedin mobile app will suffice and is just as effective, if not more so!
- Prepare an elevator pitch about yourself and the company you work.
- Be aware of current trends and topical issues that could be affecting a variety of businesses – it’s a great conversation starter!
- Establish goals before you arrive. Do you want to learn from the industry, meet new people or collect 5 business cards?
- Remember quality over quantity. Rather than just handing out as many business cards as possible, instead establish rapport and be sincere!
- Relax, have fun and be yourself!
- Focus on quality conversations and establishing worthwhile connections, without being overtly salesy!
- A day or so after the event, send a follow up email or contact them on LinkedIn reminding them who you are. Make sure you check in every so often to keep in touch! These connections can and often do lead to future opportunities.
These tips have worked well for us and we hope they will benefit you too! Happy networking!
At brookscomm we have over 20 years’ of PR expertise and a proven track record of success. We can aid you and your business, call us on 01483 537 890 or, alternatively, email us email@example.com
Follow: Twitter: @PRexpertsUK Linkedin:brookscomm Website:www.brookscomm.com